Thursday, September 11, 2008

Little Homemaker


Hey everyone...it's been busy! On top of life, I've been learning to can a little more. I've helped people, but when I only do it once a year...I forget. My goal this year was to learn to can beans, but my beans didn't do well at all. I have a wonderful friend who tried to teach me how to can pickles a couple of years ago, but I was pregnant and wasn't going there. I was too sick! She called a couple of weeks ago and I canned pickles. Yey!
I helped my step-mom last week get all the stuff ready for salsa, but had to leave before we could bottle it...so she finished...thanks Mary. And...I got a 1/2 bushel of peaches this year. I bottled this load all on my own. Everyone of them sealed, I was pretty excited. I wasn't going for the blue ribbon at the fair...I just packed as many bite sized pieces in the bottle as I could. I told James 'there's no reason to cut them twice' for Braxton.
This tomato is the first one this year to turn red. It is the ONLY red tomato I have. All the others are GREEN...GREEN...GREEN! We plan to use the tomato on hamburgers this Sunday.
Some of you may laugh, but I got my wheat grinder out today and started grinding wheat. I told my mom I got a bigger workout (burning calories) grinding the wheat than I will eating the calories from whatever I make from it. I'm going to start baking bread...so if any of you have a great recipe, let me know. I think I'm crazy, but I'm having fun trying some new things.

9 comments:

Bryan + Juli said...

My my you are quite the busy little homemaker these days! I agree we do need to get together more it was so fun getting to see everyone this past Sunday not to mention getting to see your super cute newly updated kitchen!

Kevin and Tami Scott said...

Be grateful for your 1 red tomato. I have dozens of Roma's on a plant outside and every last one of them is green. My other tomato plant out back had tomato worms that ate all the big tomatoes while we were in Nauvoo so that plant is only now trying to make some new ones. Good timing with frost season upon us. I am a horrible gardener, but it's fun trying each year. I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor!!

onlymehere said...

Maybe a little of your domesticity will rub off on me and Brianna. I'm in a slump when it comes to cooking or canning any more. No time, no energy, no desire. LOL!! Good for you and your efforts I think it's great!

Trek said...

Jac- I need your e-mail address so I can add you to my blog. It's set as private because some guy in SPAIN commented on it. I'll have to call you and get it. You look as busy as ever. Love ya!!

Lisa said...

Looks great! I could learn some stuff from you! My mom used to can and I never even paid attention, oh if I could turn back time!

alligood said...

I'm impressed - canning?!? I really love the idea of my pantry being filled with beautiful bottles of fresh canned fruits and vegetables. Every year I have good intentions, but every year it just ends up full of Western Family. :-) I suppose a garden would be a start........
Thanks for finding me! I tried to type in the address I wrote down but couldn't get it to work!
-Allison

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I AM IMPRESSED!!! Way to go!

Brianna said...

Look at you all domestic and stuff! Good for you! You'll have to teach me how to do this whole canning thing someday when I have a yard to grow things in. :-) Brandon got a kick out of reading what your cute little boy does when he picks up the phone. I think that he became Brandon's little hero that night in Wal-Mart. :-) Have a great day!
Oh, and thank you for the dinner ideas! I'm TRYING! :-)

alligood said...

So, this is probably tacky and breaks some sort of blogging etiquette - forgive me!
Would you tell the Blackburns to invite me to their blog?!?! Kerri left a comment on mine and I would love to check them out but I am 'not invited'. Your blog was the only way I could figure out how to reach them!
My email is: goodworth1@aol.com
Thanks!
-Allison