Friday, January 29, 2010

From Happy to Miserable

Torture! We took Braxton in for his second surgery the first of November to straighten four of his toes and Dr. Stott's added one more toe last minute (you can kind of see his curly toes above). We really had to hype up the second surgery since Braxton knew a little more about what was coming. I had to do a little damage control after telling him they were going to cut the bottom of his toes to straighten them. Braxton said to me, "I don't want them to cut my toes off." So I spent a couple of weeks trying to convince him they wouldn't cut them all the way off. I'm always surprised by his willingness to learn and understand and the ability I have to reason with him.
After surgery they called me back because Braxton was fairly upset and wanted his mom. When I got to his bedside and talked to him, I could tell he was in a lot of pain. I asked what he had had and requested more for him. Well, the computer was down for a few minutes so I waited IMPATIENTLY for the computer to come up so they could log it. I was getting a little angry! In the end, Braxton knows the drill and expects the ride out in the wagon to the car. James and Braxton have spent LOTS of time in these wagons killing time between surgery check-in and actual surgery. It's so cute to watch them play and have that bonding time.
Braxton did very well with the surgery for the most part. We had a little bit of an issue with his oxygen dropping when he came out, and not being on top of the pain, but he was a brave little guy! He is our cautious little one...so he babied his feet more than he needed to.
I do have to say I was very proud of him! The next day, I gave him the option to go to preschool and he wanted to. His teacher agreed to help him around, but she said he did great all by himself!

9 comments:

Julie and Nate said...

It's so hard to watch your kids go through things like that! What a brave boy though.

onlymehere said...

What a trooper! I'm so glad that he did well with the surgery. It's so hard on a mom when they have to have things done. Kaje' cried and cried after she had her tonsils out (she was 5) and they said all she wanted was her mom. It broke my heart but really touched my heart at the same time. Does that make sense? I just wnated to tell you that we got our pictures from Sam's too! You did such a great job! Oh, and I'm really jealous that you have a basement access to your backyard!

Brianna said...

The poor little guy! What a good sport to willingly go through that.

Brittney said...

He is just the handsomest little guy! Oh I feel for you sending your little one back to surgery. Of course I've only done it once, but it's rough! It's amazing how resilient these little ones can be. Hope the little toes get better soon!

Stephanie said...

I'm sad to think he's had to go through so much. I didn't know any of what had happened. Yikes. Glad to hear he did well!

onlymehere said...

If you follow the link to Trav's blog you'll see that they have a lighter bz his companion is a bit of a "pyro" and they torched the spider to kill it! With it's legs extended it must have been huge!

onlymehere said...

I hope everything is going well in your little corner of the world today. I saw you at Cami's farewell but didn't get a chance to talk to you. How's Braxton doing? Take care!
Cindy

onlymehere said...

Jacqui, how's life? Hope all is well over there in your part of the neighborhood!

onlymehere said...

Wow, it's been six months! How are you and how's that cute little Braxton doing? Hope things are going well!
Cindy